"Dear David: I just created a website on baby toy safety. What should I do to make sure gazillions of people find me through the search engines?"
I can't promise you gazillions, but there are a few things you should do to make it easy for search engines to find you. I assume you have already decided to submit your site to the major search engines and directories. I assume that you will develop some sort of linking strategy (hopefully a better strategy than most websites use today). I also assume you will have picked key search terms for all the pages on your website.
Beyond that, here are my top five tips for making your website easy for those "gazillions" to find it.
- A picture might be worth a thousand words, but search engines don't read pictures. Make sure your key search terms are written out in text, not part of a graphic title you hire somebody to prepare for you. That also means you should not just show pictures of toys, but also write out the names, and possibly a keyword description with the title.
- Have several pages of articles related to your website's topic. Use a different keyword search term for each article. For instance, one article might use frequently the term "safe toys for babies", while another might use the term "baby safety".
- What's the URL of your website? Your name won't help you there. Your key search term will. In this instance, I might pick www.baby-toy-safety.com, for example (if that is one of your top keyword phrases). Hire somebody who knows what he is doing to develop the right keyword strategy for you BEFORE you choose your domain name.
- What's the title of your page? I don't know how many times I see titles such as "Article" or "Contact us". Don't expect the search engine robots to get all excited about that term. And don't expect anybody to search for that term, either. Much better to title your page "Free article on safe toys for babies" or "Contact the *Baby Toy Expert* today". By the way, this is the single most important place to include your keyword phrases.
- What about that navigation menu that appears on every single page of your website? Does it say "Contact the baby toy expert?" Or "about the baby toy expert". Or links about baby toys?" Need I say more?
If your website is about life insurance, you have little hope of hitting the front pages of any search engine. "Life insurance" is such a competitive search engine marketplace. Unless, of course, people are searching for a very specific and rare niche. Even then, I suspect you will need much more than these five tips.
In fact, there are dozens, if not hundreds of things you can do to win the search engine race. These top five search engine optimization tips are a great start, whatever your website is about.
Discover how to climb the rankings the RIGHT way: Pick up a copy of Don't Get Banned By The Search Engines at http://thehappyguy.com/SEO.html. Or promote your website with a media relations plan at http://thehappyguy.com/publicity-self-promotion-report.html or profit from more free publicity ideas at http://www.thehappyguy.com/publicity-self-promotion-products.html. To optimize your site: firstname.lastname@example.org
PROPERTIES FOR SALE IN CYPRUS - PLEASE VISIT www.propertyincyprus.com
BLUE SKY PROPERTIES IN CYPRUS work closely with a wide range of real estate professionals within our group of companies This allows us to assess your individual needs independent of pre-selecting any area or town. Our goal is to provide sound...
A Tip for Finding Willing, Quality Links
Google might not dominate the search engine world like it did last year, but it's still a big player and can account for a lot of your traffic. It's no secret that acquiring PageRank is a big part of doing well with Google. I've personally...
Dollars In The Details!
When it comes to your marketing message, the little things count. Trouble is, you’ll never come to respect how much, until you make a commitment to science.
Let me ask you something. Do you practice Kaizen?
Kaizen is a...
Google Bring Deskbar Search To Windows Desktop. Now Any Website Can Take Advantage Of This Search Technology
Google's premier of desktop search proves that the desktop is an extremely valuable marketing real estate. Google, which holds about 75% of the Internet search market, just introduced "Deskbar" – a small desktop application that allows users to...
Is it a Real Business or a Hobby?
Do you remember when a home business was typing, ironing, house cleaning or selling crafts? In today’s environment we can do computer drafting, medical transcription, internet marketing and more. When the average person saw a computer for the first...